President Obama has taken an executive action that will help keep unlicensed gun sellers from fueling the black market. This executive action will clarify the rules around which gun sellers are required to get a dealer license and conduct background checks.
Prior to the President’s recent action, the difference between professional gun dealers and occasional, unlicensed sellers was hazy, and the lack of clarity obstructed law enforcement from being able to crack down on people who sold large quantities of guns for profit without a license, even those offering more than 100 guns a year. And because only licensed dealers are required to run background checks on gun sales, many of these unlicensed sellers ended up funneling guns into the black market or directly into the hands of criminals.
Find out more about how this new executive action cracks down on gun traffickers below.
- Who is required to run background checks on gun sales under current law?
- What major problem does the executive action address?
- Who is affected by the executive action?
- How does this affect the vast majority of regular gun owners?
- Does this executive action close all the loopholes in existing gun laws?