Background Checks and Violence Against Women

April 21, 2014

Women in the United States are far more likely to be murdered with guns than they are in any other developed nation. This violence is directly related to our weak gun laws and requiring a background check for every gun sale will reduce violence against women and save lives.

Click to enlarge

Violence Against Women

Click to enlarge

D. Hemenway and E.G. Richardson, “Homicide, Suicide, and Unintentional Firearm Fatality: Comparing the United States with Other High-Income Countries, 2003,” 70 Journal of Trauma 238-42 (2011), available at doi: 10.1097/TA.0b013e3181dbaddf., Professor April M. Zeoli, Letter to the Hon. Patrick J. Leahy & Charles Grassley, January 28, 2013., J.C. Campbell, D.W. Webster, J. Koziol-McLain, et al., “Risk factors for femicide within physically abusive intimate relationships: results from a multisite case control study,” 93 Amer. J. of Public Health 1089-1097 (2003)., Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Felon Seeks Firearm (2013), available at: http://everytown.org/article/felon-seeks-firearm/, Federal Bureau of Investigation, “Supplementary Homicide Report,” 2011., "Analysis of Recent Mass Shootings,” Mayors Against Illegal Guns, July 2014, available at: http://everytown.org/article/analysis-of-mass-shootings/, Everytown for Gun Safety, Guns and Violence Against Women, available at http://everytown.org/article/guns-and-violence-against-women/, In states that have not fully closed the private sale loophole, private handgun sales are conducted without background checks. 9,856,984 background checks were conducted for licensed gun sales between December 2011 and December 2012 in the 38 states that had at that time not closed the loophole. Assuming that this number represents 60 percent of the total gun sales in those states, and private transfers represent the other 40 percent, we estimate private transfers numbered 6.6 million over that 12-month period., Everytown for Gun Safety, “State background check requirements and rates of domestic violence suicide,” available at: http://every.tw/1Aj9HZj

Violence Against Women